Sunday, August 14, 2011

New Strange World of Unemployed Food

It's been a while: It's been a long while, and a lot has happened and a lot has changed, but we will get to that.  

First off, I no longer work at Granite City.  The inevitable happened.  They fired me.  I knew long before it happened that it would happen, but lets not skip over it; let's get to bullet points on this.

Strike 1.  I had an argument with my director and VP in October.  Things were going very poorly and they wanted someone to blame, so did I.  So they decided they would yell at me, but I didn't back down.  They wanted someone to kiss up to them and tell them that it was everyones fault, and I told them it was the two people in charge of the buildings fault for never being there.  They didn't like that.

Strike 2:  I hate paperwork.  Granite City had a lot of meaningless paper work they liked to have filed and have lots of notes taken on said paperwork for every shift.  They pay someone to create paperwork like this just to justify having a job.  Guess what, if you come in to your job and are immediately behind because the person who ran the first shift of the day doesn't do their job, why the fuck would I waste time filling out paperwork that doesn't matter.  Granite City's paperwork was all about routines and how you should work your shift.  It was a suggestion, but it never worked out and was written by someone who worked in a larger store where you could do your job and not have to worry about cutting hours or not having enough staff on hand.  Presumptuous corporate America, writing rules they themselves cannot follow but expect others to do so.

Strike 3:  Valentines Day 2011... It was on a Monday this year.  I closed the night before and wrote what was a large prep list of what we needed and didn't do over the weekend because other people decided that it wasn't necessary and would rather work 15 hour days instead of doing what was right... Anyhoo, when I came in at 3, they had removed most of the list saying it's a Monday Valentines Day and wouldn't be as busy.  They were very, very, very wrong.  We went on a wait at 4:30 and by the time that I was able to get off the line and start doing my job, we were out of everything that was on list.  I went back to the office and screamed at the people who make more money than me and are supposed to know what they are doing.  I told them to get the fuck in the kitchen and dig out of this mess before we have to comp the entire night due to their poor judgement.  It didn't matter, it was to late.  We were fucked.  The night finally ended, I threw all of my paperwork away, and went to bed.  The next day was slow, I got my paperwork done, and did some reorganizing throughout the kitchen.  It looked great.  The following day, I came in to work, and they tried to sit me down and fire me, but I laughed at them, told them they have no idea what is about to happen, and walked out with my check.  

Since I have been fired from Granite City:  13 cooks of 25 have quit, 27 0f 37 servers have quit, lowest performing Granite City in the company (27 stores), worst P&L, worst cost metrics, worst turnover, and dropped over $20,000 in sales in just 5 months.  The entire corporate support team is there on a weekly basis trying to figure out what's wrong, but they don't see the two pairs of eyes staring back at them that is the real problem.  It's not all me, but my parting statement to my managers and to the director who didn't have the balls to come fire me himself, was this:  "I was the glue of this restaurant, you guys are fucked, and you have no idea what is about to happen."



No comments:

Post a Comment